Take care of your outdoor spaces!
Published 04/13/22 by Ingenuity & Solutions | Last updated on March 06, 2023
In all seasons, patios, walkways, and terraces are invaded by all kinds of plants or windblown sand. Winter can also bring snow that covers walkways. Clearing the snow from around the house and driveway to the garage is quickly essential to resume regular activity. In any case, you will need to stock up on the appropriate tools to act rapidly and efficiently.
This is why, depending on the season, care may vary. However, it is always necessary to take care of our outdoor spaces. In this article, we will give you some tips to take care of your outdoor spaces in the best way.
Gmoscape is the best option in Connecticut to build Patios in Fairfield, Connecticut, CT | Patios in New london, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Hartford, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Litchfield, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Tolland, Connecticut, CT | Patios in West hartford, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Vernon, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Manchester, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Glastonbury, Connecticut, CT | Patios in South glastonbury, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Simsbury, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Avon, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Windsor, Connecticut, CT | Patios in South windsor, Connecticut, CT | Patios in East windsor, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Enfield, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Suffield, Connecticut, CT | Patios in Springfield, Massachusetts, MA |
Check your outdoor spaces and clean them
With the arrival of good weather, it's time to get your terrace ready for the summer season. During the colder months, wind, rain, and frost leave their mark on the terrace furniture, floor, and accessories.
Check and fix everything you need: from plants to furniture or railings. Leaves, dust, dirt that the wind has lifted. Remove everything that does not belong in pots or on the ground.
A lot of debris accumulates in drains, clogging them and eventually causing a more complicated problem. Remove leaves and dirt that accumulate around them. Do the same in the gutters. Avoid clogs by pouring products to clean these areas and let them act down the drain. It also works to pour hot water down the pipe.
Check the condition of the floor
After thoroughly cleaning your terrace, take the opportunity to check the condition of the floor. Gmoscape has the expertise you need for your project in Connecticut.
- Wooden floor: Wooden floors are cleaned with water, rubbing with a stiff bristle brush. You can use baking soda to remove small stains. Rub with a wire brush and rinse well. If it is very deteriorated, sand the floorboard before applying a polyurethane varnish or an oil specific to your type of wood. This will keep it hydrated and prevent it from losing color and cracking. Do this at least once a year.
- Ceramic floor: If it is ceramic it will not need more than a thorough cleaning in the traditional way in which you clean.
- Terracotta floors: Clean them with water and a splash of vinegar. To protect them, apply a coat of wax.
- Stone floors: Go over them with soapy water. If you detect any stain, rub with a little baking soda.
- Stoneware tiles: They are very resistant and clean well with water. If they are very dirty, add neutral detergent.
- Artificial grass: Remove dust with a vacuum cleaner. Water with pressurized water and lift the fibers with a stiff brush.
- Natural grass: Water it more in summer to prevent it from drying out and air it every three years. That is to say to "prick" the soil). If it is artificial, clean it with the water hose and brush it with a rake.
Take care of the walls of your outdoor spaces
Especially when the rainy and cold season ends, you should clean the walls of your outdoor spaces. Remove all the furniture and plants from the pots and renew their image. Depending on their material, you will have to clean them in one way or another.
- Brick walls: If the walls are made of brick, being a porous material, it tends to accumulate dust. Vacuum the joints or scrub with a brush. You can also clean it with soap and water and recover its color with linseed oil.
- Painted walls: For painted walls, you can simply wash them. It is enough to rub them with water and neutral soap. Repaint them every 5 years. Choose exterior paint with anti-fungus and anti-humidity treatment. Renew it every two years and wipe it with a damp cloth. You can also whitewash the walls.
Beware of humidity
If your terrace is oriented to the north, the cold and the winter rain can have left its mark in the form of verdigris. This usually happens in the mud floors or in its encounter with the walls. If the stains are minor, you can remove it yourself with a mixture of vinegar and hot water. Scrape it off with a bristle brush and then apply a special treatment to close the pores of the mud.
On the walls, remove the stained paint with a spatula and even the surface with sandpaper. Apply an anti-humidity product to seal the wall and then paint. Gmoscape has the expertise you need for your project in Connecticut.
Clean doors and windows
Gmoscape recommends cleaning the outside of the doors with water and detergent. If they are sliding, go over the guides with a vacuum cleaner and a wet cloth. As for the shutters, if they are aluminum, clean them when they are not hot from the sun. Dilute in a liter of water a spoonful of neutral detergent. If they are made of wood, apply the same treatment as wooden outdoor furniture.
Repair damage to the deck
A wooden deck is warm and comfortable but requires more regular maintenance. At least once a year, check for cracks and repair them with bar wax or putty, preventing screws, nails or staples have not rusted. It is advisable to water tropical wood frequently and apply an oil treatment in warm climates. This will prevent the action of the sun's rays from causing micro-cracks. Gmoscape offer a simple and elegant solution in Connecticut.
Renew the plants in pots and planters.
Take a walk through a nursery. Now you will find different types of plants and flowers. With the arrival of spring, the variety of flowers is enormous.
If you were foresighted in autumn and sowed, then now it's time to transplant. In case you are going to reuse containers, we recommend you to clean them thoroughly. With a stiff-bristled brush, remove any plant debris and soil they may have. Then, immerse each container in a basin of hot water and detergent and scrub them. Rinse and let dry well before adding the new substrate.
Gmoscape is the best choice for designing and building outdoor spaces in Connecticut. Hardscaping in Fairfield, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in New london, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Hartford, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Litchfield, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Tolland, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in West hartford, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Vernon, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Manchester, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Glastonbury, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in South glastonbury, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Simsbury, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Avon, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Windsor, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in South windsor, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in East windsor, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Enfield, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Suffield, Connecticut, CT | Hardscaping in Springfield, Massachusetts, MA |
Gmoscape is the best choice for designing and building outdoor spaces in Connecticut. Gmoscape Contractor will help you transform the outdoor spaces of your home. Visit us on our social networks to learn more about our services in Connecticut.
If you want to remodel your outdoor spaces, Gmoscape Contractor has qualified professionals who will evaluate what material is suitable for your garden or terrace to help you with your project and guide your decision. For more information, contact us and get a free quote.